Saturday, February 18, 2012

I've been addicted to an online game for over 7 years. I recently quit. How do I cope with the real world?

I've recently quit this online game we'll call "blahblahblah". I'm protecting the name of the actual game because the last thing I'd want to happen is someone who had no prior knowledge of the game curiously check it out and possibly become addicted like me.



People say games like WoW is addicting. This game was worse for me. I started playing this game when I was around 13 years old. I'm now 20 years old, almost 21. This isn't even an MMORPG. I've played those. They came and went. I outgrew them. This is a virtual chat site. You have an avatar, you have rooms, pets, friends etc.



Long story short, I feel as if it's taken over my life completely. Even though I don't play it all day everyday. I always rely on this game as my crutch when I'm bored. Since it's free, easily accessible, and the annonimity behind the game makes it that much more addicting to play on, communicate with, debate with other people on the site.





I've recently quit blahblahblah, but I'll admit, I'm afraid to face the real world now, without the game. I've made the personal decision to fully stop using blahblahblah in hopes of betting my life. Ever since I've played blahblahblah, my relationships with friends have broken off. I only have about two real friends now. I've become so much more anti-social. I think too much for my own good. I think me thinking too much is a result of me spending so much time alone... blahblahblah has also brought me further apart from my brothers, my mother, and my father. Although I love my family more than anything in the world, and I still talk to them. I feel like my relationship with them could be a lot stronger....





I'm scared but excited at the same time. I'm ready to open a new chapter in my life. 7 years playing this game. It's time to move on... time to make a change. This is more a rant if anything. I need to get it off my chest. But I could really use any advice on how to move on after something like this.. moral advice would be nice, too. Anything that could help. Thank you.I've been addicted to an online game for over 7 years. I recently quit. How do I cope with the real world?
sounds like hasbo and get real friends and enjoy the weekends out in the pubsI've been addicted to an online game for over 7 years. I recently quit. How do I cope with the real world?
Good for you :D It's hard leaving 7 years of your life behind, But it's for the best of course.

I suggest totally quitting computers (If possible) for a certain amount of time. Get out more, don't have to necessarily go partying every night, but just go do something fun, with or without friends.

Just don't go back. Goodluck!I've been addicted to an online game for over 7 years. I recently quit. How do I cope with the real world?
Its not about how many friends you have, it is about if the the ones you have are real or not.



Ways to make friends: Go to college, shows/concerts, coffee shops, churches, get a job, be verbose, be friendly, talk to strangers, compliment people.



Also, try to reconnect with your family and old friends!



Good luck and congratulations.
If this game was like a WoW addiction, then it must have taken up a lot of your day. So I'd say the best way to approach life now is to think about how you can fill your day more effectively. Sort of like how nicotine gum is supposed to keep a smoker's mouth active to replace the action of smoking, you can fill the place that the game used to have in your life with something better.



Getting a job is probably the best place to start. That way you'll be earning money, and you'll also instantly meet some new people (your co-workers.) Alternatively, you could pursue education. There are certainly ample opportunities for meeting people in college/university, but even then you should definitely join a club or something to ensure that you have a group of people to meet on a regular basis.
  • muffler
  • international trucks
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment